When you are a city dweller during the week, going to the park could literally feel like a mini vacation. That is why the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is one of my favorite places to visit locally. It’s a stunning 52 acre flower park with lush greenery […]
Over the past few months, I’ve been watching quite a few Youtube Vloggers (it’s part of my job!) and admiring how flawless these vloggers look. I admit I did buy a contouring kit and a concealer because I wanted to look flawless like them– but I realized putting on so many layers of makeup is not for me because I’m worried that all these products will not let my skin breathe!
For me, flawless skin isn’t about putting on layers of makeup to look flawless, but its starts with a skincare regimen that keeps the skin healthy, hydrated, and naturally radiant. And I believe naturally radiant skin will always be in style.
First introduced to me by my mother, Extra Virgin Olive Oil has been my go-to product for the past decade for my combination skin! While putting olive oil may not seem like the best thing to do for your skin, consider these facts on what olive oil can do for your skin:
- Olive oil fights free radicals
- Olive oil doesn’t clog pores
- Olive oil is packed with antioxidants that helps prevent premature signs of aging.
- It’s also packed with oleic acid, which has s similar composition to sebum that your body naturally produces, so it blends into skin easily
- Olive oil strengthens your skin’s natural moisture barrier, protecting your skin from ultraviolet rays and pollutants that can also cause signs aging.
- Olive oil has been used for beauty purposes in the Mediterranean region for centuries! That’s got to say something!
While you can technically grab a bottle from your kitchen (make sure it’s extra virgin) and apply a thin layer on your skin, there’s one brand of olive oil specifically made for your skin that my mom introduced me to that I have been using for over a decade. And that’s the DHC Olive Virgin Oil.
At $42 dollars for a 1 fl. oz bottle, it is definitely not the most affordable thing, but I need this in my life! When I was low on cash, I briefly switched over to a more affordable jojoba oil but went right back to the DHC Olive Virgin Oil. The results I get from this product is unparalleled!
I prefer this over any other cream or skincare product because it is 100% natural, and I feel comfort in knowing there is only one ingredient involved-the finest, extra virgin, organic olive oil, and it doesn’t have any other additives, artificial or chemical compounds, which could make my sensitive skin breakout. There are also no preservatives. It’s just olive oil. I love that!
Lastly, it’s also packaged in a way that it doesn’t expose the oil to air, which can cause oxidization like the kind in your kitchen does. And what matters most is that it works. 1-2 drops is all you need!
These are the 5 benefits of DHC Olive Virgin Oil based on my experience:
- Gives your skin a natural glow
- The biggest thing I notice in the morning after applying olive oil at night is that my skin is literally glowing. When I don’t apply my skin looks duller.
- Evens out skin tone
- Whenever I don’t apply the oil, my skin looks blotchy, my dark circles more prominent. As I get older, this has become my daily regimen
- Keeps moisture in
- My skin can get so dry in the winter, but this product keeps my face plump and moisturized. I’m also fairly certain it helps prevent wrinkles! Remember ladies, if you want to prevent wrinkles you gotta moisturize!
- Helps fight inflammation
- Recently my skin had a bad reaction to over-washing and consequently drying out my face, which left me with red blotches all over my cheeks. Lovely. But then I applied the olive oil and overnight, it alleviated my skin. Within three days my inflammation was almost completely gone!
- Lightens dark spots
- When I apply DHC’s Olive Virgin Oil, I notice my acne scars fade and it also lightens my sun spots. This stuff is like Jesus juice, no joke.
It’s important that you use extra virgin oil-it uses the least amount of processing so it retains the olive’s amazing, natural benefits the most!
What do you think about putting olive oil on your face? Leave a comment below!
Last September, my friend’s bridesmaids planned a chill and relaxing bachelorette party in Hunter, NY 3 hour north of the city by car (maybe more with traffic, which you will most certainly hit, booo). I thought it was perfect for the bride-to-be since she loves outdoors activities. […]
For those that don’t know me, or for those that may know me but forgot, I live in an area of Brooklyn that’s north of Williamsburg called Greenpoint. This neighborhood is peppered with charming stores, cafes, and great brunch spots, the last of which I want to share with you today.
If you are ever in the area, in the hopes that the weather gets nice very soon, here’s my top 3 outdoor brunch spots in Greenpoint that you do not want to miss!
1. The Bounty
If anyone asks me what is my favorite restaurant in Greenpoint, I would say The Bounty. It’s a really charming restaurant with an incredibly pleasant staff.
Inside the restaurant, there is a mast hanging in the ceiling and the decor is meant to make you feel like you’re inside a ship (hence the name The Bounty!).
While dinner here can get pricey ($$$ with drinks) I love their presentation and the food is really great. With candle-lit tables, it’s perfect for a special occasion.
Tip: $1 Oyster Happy Hour is 5-7PM every. day – yes that includes the weekend! That’s an automatic win for me.
2. Xi’an Famous Foods
What would my roomie/bestie Lisa and I do without Xi’an!? Amazing Szechuan noodle dishes here and I’m fairly certain the only authentic Chinese restaurant in the area, at least for now, and a really good one at that!
Besides their noodle dishes, I really like their spinach dumplings and cucumber salad… okay basically everything on their menu. I can’t count how many times we’ve been here to sit outside and slurp on cold noodles on a hot summer day.
I also love their teas – Lisa got me hooked on Hawthorn Tea which is both a little sour and sweet – trust me, it’s addicting! Their Jasmine tea is really good too as well as the Chinese tea that comes in a red can, not sure what it’s called, I just grab the red can- you will see all of them in the drink fridge!
3. Milk & Roses
Milk & Roses is a totally romantic restaurant with a charming backdoor garden that will make you forget you are in New York. It’s totally worth it to feel like you’re away from the hustle and bustle of the city and inside an enchanted garden!
There you have it-what are your favorite outdoor brunch spots in Greenpoint? Comment below!